I’m reading the book of Ephesians, a letter from the apostle Paul that you could spend weeks and month studying and still feel like you’ve just scratched the surface.
The other day my grandchildren expressed that they thought God never smiled. Isn’t that the way a lot of people think about God? An ashen-faced old gentleman looking down on humanity with a frown! That’s not the picture I have.
God is my Father. He is Love. He is kind. He is gentle. He is merciful. He is “compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love” (Psalm 103:8). The list can go on and on.
Let me highlight some of the points Paul brings out:
- 1:3 God has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.
- 1:7-8 God has lavished the riches of his grace on us with all wisdom and understanding.
- 2:4 God is rich in mercy.
- 2:7 God shows the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.
- 2:14 God himself is our peace.
- 3:20 God is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine.
- 4:6 Our God and Father of all, is over all and through all and in all.
- 5:2 Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
- 6:10 Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
I’m visiting my grandchildren this weekend. When I arrived last evening, Brianna (soon-to-be-seven) told me, “I was thinking about you all day and couldn’t wait for you to come!” That is something that warms a grandmother’s heart.
Do we have that same expectant feeling about being with God? Is being in his presence the most precious thing for us?
This morning I was meditating on God’s kindness when Brianna came to invite me for breakfast. I was so concentrated that I jumped in the bed. I told her to warn me next time. I could spen hours meditating on God’s kindness.
This is what the LORD says:
“Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth,
for in these I delight”, declares the LORD. –Jeremiah 9:23-24
God is kind, but he is also just and holy. Thanks to our precious Lord Jesus we can experience the fullness of God’s kindness. I am unworthy of his love.