I’m reminiscing. I’m feeling nostalgic. Tomorrow my “baby” will turn 40.
I can’t help but think back to the day I turned 40. We were missionaries in Bolivia and I was heading a small publishing company. I was producing the Bible lessons that now, 26 years later, I’m putting on the web. You often hear me talk about it and I usually tell you what story I published during the week.
My “team” organized a party for me and they gave me 40 roses. I’ve arranged to give my daughter 40 flowers but they will not all be roses. I wish I could be there with her tomorrow and hand-deliver them. But I have good hands that will do me the favor.
Forty is a “Bible number.”
- When God sent the flood, it rained 40 days and 40 nights
- Joseph had the Egyptians embalm his father; it took 40 days
- The Israelites ate manna the 40 years they wandered in the desert
- Moses spent 40 days and 40 nights on the mountain with God
- Moses’ life was divided in three 40 year periods
- The twelve men especially chosen explored the land of Canaan for 40 days
- Caleb was 40 years old when he went to explore the Promised Land
- When Othniel was judge of the land the people had peace for 40 years
- The land had peace for 40 years after the victory led by Deborah and Barak
- When Midian was subdued by the victory God gave Gideon the land hand another 40 years of peace
- When the Israelites did evil God delivered them for 40 years in the hands of the Philistines
- Eli led Israel for 40 years
- King Saul reigned for 40 years
- King David reigned for 40 years in Israel
- King Solomon reigned in Jerusalem over Israel for 40 years
- Strengthened by “angel food” Elijah traveled 40 days and 40 nights until he reached Horeb, the mountain of God
- Joash reigned in Jerusalem for 40 years
- Jonah proclaimed that in 40 days Nineveh would be overturned
- Jesus fasted for 40 days and 40 nights and was tempted by the devil in the desert
- After his suffering, Jesus appeared to his disciples over a period of 40 days
- Five times Paul received from the Jews 40 lashes minus one.
Here I am with my 40 roses and with my team. The girl in the front is my daughter that now resides in heaven. My “baby” is standing by my side. If it wasn’t for an appointment with my doctor on Friday, I would be hugging her tomorrow. She will have to be patient and wait a couple of days.
When Caleb reached his second 40 years he was just as strong as when he had done his first 40. I’m praying for that in my life and I sure wish it for my daughter.