August was the “Daniel Fast” month. I was determined to study the book of Daniel, and I did. One of the extraordinary discoveries I made was all the descriptions of Daniel, depicting what an exceptional man he was. Immediately I started thinking of my precious David-boy, the young man who just turned nine. And I thought of his big brother, John, and of all the boys in our lives. I’m sure we would want them all to have these qualities.
I pray that David will have Daniel-qualities!
Read the list I’ve compiled about Daniel and then the prayer for boys and men birthed from it. You can pray this for a son, a brother, a husband, a co-worker, a fellow-student, a cousin, an uncle, and even for your father. How about praying for our men in government, that they have the qualities of Daniel!
Daniel, a man of integrity
- without any physical defect
- showing aptitude for every kind of learning
- well informed
- quick to understand
- qualified to serve in the king’s palace
- determined not to defile himself
- had knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning
- had a keen mind and knowledge and understanding
- could understand visions and dreams of all kinds
- found favor and sympathy with teachers and authority figures
- healthier and better nourished than other young men (by eating right)
- in every matter of wisdom and understanding, ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in King Nebuchadnezzar’s whole kingdom
- spoke with wisdom and tact
- sought advice and help in prayer
- gave praise to the God of heaven
- knew that God had the answers
- was placed in a high position and lavished with many gifts
- was made ruler over the entire province of Babylon
- was placed in charge of all its wise men
- requested that the king appoint his friends as administrators
- the spirit of the Lord was with him, visible to those around him; “the spirit of the holy gods is in him”, said the king
- gave the king good advice, that he should renounce his sins
- had the ability to interpret dreams, explain riddles and solve difficult problems
- had insight, intelligence and outstanding wisdom
- did not seek gifts and accolades
- distinguished himself among the administrators and the satraps
- had such exceptional qualities that King Darius planned to set him over the whole kingdom
- no grounds found for charges against him in his conduct of government affairs
- no corruption in him
- he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent
- prayed three times a day on his knees, giving thanks to his God
- was a servant of the living God, serving him continually
- was found innocent in God’s sight
- had never done any wrong before the king
- trusted in his God
- prospered during the reign of Darius and the reign of Cyrus the Persian
- understood the Scriptures
- fasted in sackcloth and ashes
- confessed his sins and the sin of his people Israel
- was told by an angel that he was highly esteemed
Prayer for a boy or man in my life
Lord, I pray for ……………
May he trust God, serving him continually.
May he be determined not to defile himself with sin; not loving the world or anything in it.
May he know to confess his sins and make things right with God.
May he be found innocent in God’s sight, forgiven by the Lord Jesus.
May he be trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent.
May no grounds be found for charges against him in his conduct.
May he be healthy and well nourished in body, soul, and spirit.
May he study and understand the Scriptures.
May he be a man of prayer, like Daniel who prayed three times a day on his knees, giving thanks to his God.
May he understand and practice the benefits of fasting.
May it be visible to those around him that the Spirit of the Lord is with him.
May he distinguish himself by exceptional qualities.
May he have a keen mind, showing insight, intelligence, and outstanding wisdom.
May he show aptitude for every kind of learning, be well informed, and quick to understand.
May he find favor and sympathy with teachers and authority figures.
May he speak with wisdom and tact.
May he seek advice and help in prayer when faced with a problem.
May he recognize that God has the answers and give praise to the God of heaven.
May he remain humble if placed in a high position and be considerate of his friends.
May he know to give good advice, that he and others should renounce sin.
May he have the ability to solve difficult problems.
May he not seek gifts and accolades.
May he be prosperous, and may his soul be betting along well.
May he, above all, be considered highly esteemed in the eyes of God.
Scripture references: Daniel 1:3-5, 8, 15, 17; 2:14, 17, 18, 20, 28, 48-49; 4:7-10; 5:12, 14-15, 17; 6:3-5, 10, 19-23, 28; 9:2, 3, 20-23; 10:18, 19 (1 John 2:15; 3 John 2)
Download: Prayer for a boy or man in my life