Have you had your kitchen invaded by ants? That happened to me Sunday evening. I guess they wanted to see if I would practice one of the illustrations I heard in a sermon that afternoon.
Someone had a rat or roach invasion, whatever it was. The point is that the person figured that each creature was created with a purpose, even if he couldn’t figure it out. So he blessed them!
“I bless you rats to fulfill your purpose in life, but I’m sure it was NOT to invade my house. This is MY space! Go find your own!”
It worked! They did go find their own space!
My faith was not that strong. Here’s what I did:
- I had some cotton swabs in a drawer so I soaked them with apple cider vinegar and started rubbing the paths the ants were taking. It was a massive killing!
- Next morning I had a whole new army invading my space. I had read some place about sprinkling cayenne pepper on the path. I raided my cabinets but the strongest powder I could find was chilli pepper so I sprinkled that around the counters. I don’t think they liked it very much.
- Parsley! Did I make it up or did I read that some other place? I had parsley in the fridge so I spread some around.
- Blessing! I gave them my blessing to go live under my house and not in my kitchen. Then I asked them to forgive me for killing so many of their friends!
- To make sure my blessing worked, I called the company that does pest control and had an Exterminator come out.
- I learned something new. Rub an ant between your fingers and then smell the spot. That will show you they are house ants.
- The ants had taken over 2 basic spots in my house. One outside and another under the house, in the crawl space. Supposedly they are all dead now. What an killer the Exterminator was!
My kitchen looks a mess. I’m still not confident about cleaning off the chilli pepper powder I’ve spread all over.
Who should I believe? The Exterminator or my kind blessing and offer for the ants to live under the house? But I think that’s the spot the Exterminator hit!
I like ants when I write stories about them.
I like that the Bible teaches us to observe the ants and be wise.
I definitely do not like them in my kitchen.
Bye, bye ants!